Hansi Oppenheimer has been heading up the Squee Project for years, interviewing fans on camera for her fandom history projects. Ex: Squee! Identifying As A FanGirl: https://filmfreeway.com/875918
She’s looking for volunteers to help her index the video files, locate a hosting platform, proofread transcripts and of course funding for automatic transcription services (I will also be launching my own smaller campaign to raise funds to transcribe our Media Fandom Oral History Project Interviews so stay tuned for that).
If you can, please help signal boost her call for project volunteers and funding. Here is her description of the types of volunteer work
A big part of the Squee Project has been my commitment to documenting the contributions of women in fandom. Since 2012, I have been interviewing women, femmes and non binary creators and fans about their experiences. I have built up a really huge archive of interviews and would like to let the public access them. There are a few steps to doing this and it won’t happen overnight. Here is the plan as I see it.
1) I need help to go through all of my external drives and catalog all the interviews. Some of them are on PC formatted drives so we’ll need to convert the files.
2) The interviews need to be transcribed. Fortunately, there are programs that do it fairly cheaply at 10 cents a minute but with over 100 interviews, many of them running 30 minutes or more this will be costly but maybe we can get a grant or enough donations to cover it.
3) We need a platform for the interviews and the transcripts as well as bio information on the subjects. YouTube might be a good option but I’m open to suggestions. If there is a library that might be a good home for them, I’d be happy to discuss it as long as there was a way for a casual viewer to access the media.
4) Everything needs to be rectified and cross referenced so it can be searched and used for fan studies, history, general research or just plain entertainment.
5) Ideally, I’d love to have some assistance from people with an interest in fan studies, history, women’s studies, transmedia and documentaries and to be able to compensate them for their time.
If you can help with a donation, would like to volunteer, have some suggestions, grant info, technical know-how, etc. please contact us.
— Morgan Dawn